Jaume Masià tops Friday at Sepang
The final stretch begins! The last triple-header of the 2023 season kicked off today with the Malaysian Grand Prix at the Sepang International Circuit. Friday has been good inside Le0pard Racing’s box, with Jaume Masià finishing on top while Adrián Fernández sits in 8th:
- Overcast but sunny skies greeted us for the first day of action at Sepang.
- The first session of the weekend got underway late due to track conditions, but as soon as it began, both Le0pard riders Jaume Masià and Adrián Fernández went out on track determined to start the weekend in style.
- Topping the timesheets early in the session for the first time, Jaume Masià continued to improve progressively during Practice 1, finishing the morning in 1st place after setting a benchmark of 2’12.065 on his second run, nearly half a second clear of the rider behind.
- Adrián Fernández, for his part, started Practice 1 strongly, putting in a steady pace during his first run. On his second one, the Spaniard managed to improve his lap time to sit in 15th place with a 2'13.728.
- The temperatures rose as the clock ticked down for Practice 2 to start, meaning the grip would drop, making things trickier.
- With hotter conditions on track, Jaume Masià struggled a bit in the afternoon in comparison to the morning, leaving it late to ride within the 2’12 bracket, but not being able to improve his time. Despite of this, the Spaniard finished Friday on top of the timesheets with his 2’12.065 from the morning.
- Adrián Fernández felt better during the afternoon, managing to improve his lap time and finishing in 8th place on the combined with a 2’12.647.
- Qualifying day awaits tomorrow!
Jaume Masià, 1st
“I’m happy with today’s performance, but we can still improve a bit more. We need to find something to be faster, as well as find something to improve the rear grip. We’ve had problems with this when the temperatures are high, but we’ve already analysed every situation and found some solutions. We’re ready for tomorrow!"
Adrián Fernández, 8th
“It’s been a very positive first day at Sepang, I feel great with the bike and I’m really happy about it. Our goal for tomorrow is to go directly into Q2 so that we can put in a good qualifying. I’m confident we can do it!”